At this time of year with extra busy schedules many of us need some extra quick and easy dinner ideas to make life a little bit easier.
I completely adore anything with curry and Indian takeout is one of my guilty pleasures. The past year or so, I’ve been playing around more often with curry dishes. The ones I like to make are quick and low maintenance but also packed with flavor.
This recipe in particular is great because it uses seasonal produce such as butternut squash and kale, along with some pantry staples so make a decadent, yet healthy vegan meal.
The other best part of this curry? Leftovers. I know some people are very anti-leftovers but I find that some dishes make for great leftovers, even tasting better reheated once the flavors really come together. A big batch of this curry, and maybe some rice or quinoa would be great to get you through a busy week!
I would love to know what you think of this recipe. Please comment below or tag @the_mexitalian on Instagram and the__mexitalian on twitter with a photo of your dish.
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, halved and sliced into ¼" pieces
- 1.5 c butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¼" cubes
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 T curry powder
- ½ T garam masala
- 1 t salt
- 3 c kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- cilantro to garnish (optional)
- green onion to garnish (optional)
- Heat 1 t olive oil in large pan. Sauté the onion, carrots, and squash until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, garam masala, and salt. Toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, cooking until slightly wilted.
- Serve with rice, quinoa, or naan.