When I get on a kick with a certain food or snack I really get into it.
This winter my favorite thing to eat has been roasted broccoli dipped in chili garlic mayo (I liked this brand). It wasn’t until a few months ago that I started roasting broccoli, mostly for buddha bowls, and it is just so darn good. I like to cook it until it’s a tiny bit crispy and then dip away. It feels as indulgent as french fries without the guilt, I’m seriously obsessed.
Eventually I decided it might be more practical to make a meal out of my roasted broccoli obsession, and these veg and grain bowls came to be. Topped with plenty of chili garlic mayo of course, it takes things to another level of flavor with a perfect amount of spice. Again, obsessed. It’s just so good.
This recipe can be made with almost anything. The bowl pictured is filled with Adzuki beans, a blend of black, white and brown rice from Trader Joe’s, roasted broccoli, carrots, and cabbage, some edamame, a few slices of avocado and the chili garlic mayo drizzled on top. The idea is ay combo of protein + grain (or other carb) + veg + garnishes + chili garlic mayo.
Here are a few more ideas to customize your bowl:
Protein: crispy tofu, chickpeas, tempeh, chicken, fried egg
Grain/Carb: sweet potato, black rice, brown rice, sushi rice, cauliflower rice
Veg: cauliflower, zucchini, squash, parsnips, brussels sprouts, purple cabbage
Garnishes: kimchi, sesame seeds
Make it vegan, dairy-free, paleo, low carb, what ever you want and need! Everything can be prepped in advance and quickly heated to eat and enjoy. I love this for a quick and healthy weekday lunch or dinner.
What do you want in your bowl?!
- ⅓ c rice or other grain, cooked
- ½ c beans or tofu, cooked
- 1-2 c roasted vegetables such as carrot, parsnip, cabbage, brussels, etc.
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ¼ c edamame
- ¼ c mayo, vegan mayo, or Greek yogurt
- 2 T chili garlic sauce
- Mix mayo or Greek yogurt with the chili garlic sauce to create the chili garlic mayo.
- Using two shallow bowls or plates, split the rice or other grain, beans or tofu, and vegetables, filling the bowls or plates. Top with edamame, avocado or other toppings.
- Drizzle the bowls with the chili garlic mayo. Serve immediately.