Quick curry lentils and rice is one of my go-to meals. It’s comfort in a bowl.
So when I came across red lentil noodles at Trader Joe’s a few months ago I was really curious to try them. I have used them in several different ways since first trying them, every time trying to figure out a way in which to really love the bite and taste of the red lentil pasta. Lentil pasta is a great gluten free and lower-carb alternative to traditional noodles and I was determined to make something work that really complimented the noodles.
Well, after much trial and error I finally figured it out! Of course, what goes better with red lentils than curry, my favorite combination. This pasta is creamy, hearty, and packed with flavor from the sauce, noodles, and all the veggies. The best part is that it’s super customizable, you can use any vegetables you like and have on hand. I used zucchini, wax beans, and carrots in the dish you’ll see in the photos but the options are endless. I think broccoli, cauliflower, and eggplant would all work super well.
I love that this is a fun twist on curry lentils and rice with a lower carb content since no rice is needed. I made a full batch and enjoyed it for four meals throughout the week but it definitely tastes best fresh. This is a great meal if you’re hosting someone with dietary restrictions as it’s both vegan and gluten free, and is delicious enough for anyone trying to add more flavor and variety to their eating.
Have you tried red lentil pasta? Any other gluten free or pasta alternatives you love?
- 1 12 oz. bag or box of red lentil noodles
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked 4 or more hours and drained*
- 1.5 T curry powder
- 1 t garam masala
- 1 t salt + more to taste
- ⅓ c water
- 2 c raw vegetables, I used zucchini, wax beans, and carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ c diced yellow onion
- 1 T olive oil
- Add the cashews and water to a large blender and blend until smooth. Add the curry powder, garam masala, and salt, blend until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. While the water boils, heat the olive oil in a medium to large skillet. Add the diced onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and vegetables. Continue to sauté on medium heat until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- When the water is boiling, add the noodles and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked noodles to the skillet and toss with the vegetables. Turn the heat down to low and add in the cashew cream sauce. Add extra salt to taste if desired.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe tastes best fresh. It does reheat and still tastes good but is a bit dry.
I would love to see how your creamy curry lentil pasta turns out! Don’t forget to tag The Mexitalian on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.