The less than springy- Spring weather we’ve been having has me dreaming of patio weather.
After my first winter back in the midwest, I must say I’d forgotten how long winter drags into spring. I don’t mind cold weather in general but by the second week in April I am quite sick of snow. While I can’t do anything about the weather, I can get through these not yet patio weather days by whipping up some drinks that leave we thinking of warmer days.
This grapefruit cilantro spritz is so fun and different. It all starts with cilantro simple syrup. The simple syrup is made with coconut sugar, which is not only sweet but adds a caramel-like flavor. To take things to the next level, cilantro leaves and stems are steeped in the simple syrup for a bright and herbal flavor.
To make a perfectly refreshing drink, the cilantro simple syrup pairs with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, and is topped off with sparkling water for a bit of fizz.
While I think this drink is great on it’s own, it can also be jazzed up to go from mocktail to cocktail. A splash of vodka, gin, or tequila and you have a complex and refreshing cocktail. I can see many a Grapefruit Cilantro Spritz in our future, patio weather or not.
- 2 cups fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice (2-3 grapefruit), chilled
- 1 c water
- ½ c coconut sugar
- ½ c cilantro leaves and stems
- Lime slices to garnish
- To make the cilantro simple syrup. Heat the water and coconut sugar in a small pot set to medium heat. Heat until the sugar has dissolved, and the the mixture begins to simmer. Turn off the heat and add the cilantro leaves and stems, cover and allow the mixture to steep for 20-30 minutes. Remove the cilantro and discard. Chill the cilantro simple syrup until ready to use.
- Combine the simple syrup and grapefruit juice. To serve, add ½ c of the grapefruit cilantro mixture to a glass, top with sparkling water.
- Add 1 oz. of vodka, tequila, or gin if desired.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.