Last summer was the summer of Green Tahini in our house.
I first discovered Green Tahini at Trader Joe’s when they started carrying it last summer. I often buy their Tahini sauce and when I saw a green herb-packed version I was intrigued. After taking it home, it was so good, I didn’t even share the first batch with my husband. Green tahini is great on just about anything- vegetables, pasta, and especially Buddha Bowls!
I adore Buddha bowls. They’re the perfect easy meal that you can throw together with any vegetables and protein that you have in your fridge and cupboard. The versatility of the Buddha bowl is what makes it awesome, but for me it’s always the sauce that drives home the flavor.
This version has been updated just for summer. While we eat some variety of Buddha bowl at least once a week in the fall and winter, I loathe turning on the oven come warm spring and summer weather. So this version is made completely on the stove-top, no oven needed! I topped it off with my own homemade Green Tahini sauce, full of a variety of fresh herbs. You can use any combination of herbs you like or have on hand, almost anything will be good, and the more herbs the better! Play around with it and add Green Tahini to your summer meal and snack rotation.
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 2 c kale (I used purple kale), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ t cumin
- 1 t salt
- ½ t black pepper
- ¼ c tahini paste
- 4 T lemon juice (about the juice of 2 lemons)
- 1 c fresh packed herbs, any combination of chives, dill, mint, parsley, cilantro, basil, etc.
- 1 t salt
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- 2-4 T water*
- To prepare the green tahini add all ingredients to a food processor. Start with 2 T of water, adding more as needed. Blend the tahini sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the zucchini and corn, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, pepper, and cumin. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook until soft. Remove from heat and serve topped with green tahini sauce.