If you haven’t picked up on it yet I adore watermelon.
If I see watermelon on a menu I am more than likely going to order it, especially when it’s mixed with something unique and savory. Almost 3 years ago now my cousins visited me in Charlotte and we took a brief trip to Charleston, the first time there for each of us. On our second day after walking around in the heat all morning we decided to hit the beach and made the drive to Folly.
We were hungry (of course) and decided to grab something to eat at Rita’s Seaside Grille, a little restaurant with large open windows across the street from the beach. We sat at the bar for a quick lunch and as soon as I glanced at the menu I immediately knew what I would be ordering…. nachos with grilled, seasoned tuna steak and watermelon salsa. I was in LOVE. Those nachos are to this day one of my favorite things I’ve eaten, such an interesting combo of flavors and textures.
I’ve been back twice since to enjoy Folly Beach and eat nachos at Rita’s. We even went and ate there immediately after my now husband proposed. A girl’s gotta eat! If you’re ever in Folly Beach, SC please stop and eat some nachos for me.
After all that talk of nachos why did I make tacos?! That’s an easy one, I hate turning the oven on in the summer. If I’m going to do it I like to plan ahead and do so early in the morning before it gets too hot. As much as I love nachos they’re not always my first choice for breakfast so tacos it is!
These are easy to prepare and the tuna only needs a few minutes on the grill. The salsa can be made in advance and it’s always a good idea to make extra to snack on with some chips! The cool watermelon and spice from the jalapeños make for a perfect combination.
Though I used tuna because my mind was drifting back to the beach, these tacos would be great with any hearty, grillable fish- maybe swordfish steaks or something that’s fresh and on sale. You can definitely be creative! I prefer corn tortillas for my tacos but flour or even multigrain would work well too.
I think you should whip up these tacos, some margaritas, and pretend you’re at the beach. Unless you’re lucky enough to actually be at the beach then you should make tacos and invite me over!
Grilled Tuna Tacos with Watermelon Salsa
- 2 filets of fresh tuna
- juice and zest of one lime
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 c watermelon, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper
- Whisk juice and zest of lime, olive oil and salt and pepper together. Marinate the tuna in the mixture for 15-2o minutes.
- While the tuna in marinating prepare the salsa. Gently mix together jalapeño, watermelon, red onion and cilantro. Store in the fridge.
- Heat the grill (to approximately 400 degrees if using gas) and grill the tuna for approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Carefully put the tortillas on the grill to warm them up and char them slightly if desired, turning once.
- Allow the tuna to rest 3-5 minutes then cut it into strips. Serve in the tortillas topped with salsa.
Don’t forget to tag the Mexitalian on Facebook and The_Mexitalian on Instagram. I would love to see your pictures of the recipes!