When you’re planning meals for breakfast do you every think about your gut health? What about for other meals, is gut health on your radar? If you struggle with your meal planning then it might be a good idea to check out something like this EcoPhage to help you achieve a healthier gut. However, you should keep on reading to find out some very simple food tips and tricks.
This month’s recipe redux theme is gut-healthy meals. While I in no way claim to be an registered dietitian (RD), I do my best to make healthy and balanced meals a part of my daily routine. I love learning more from reading good research and from some of my favorite RD/bloggers – Bucket List Tummy, Nutrition Stripped, The Real Food RDs.
Throughout my own health journey in the past couple of years I have tried to incorporate more fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, and kombucha. I have also been trying to keep inflammatory foods to a minimum (gluten, dairy) and focus on foods that are indirectly supportive of gut health, aka foods that help to restore the lining of your gut such as wild salmon.
Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite breakfasts – two ways! The key to making the meal feel special and hearty is the chickpea flatbread. I heard so much feedback about it on social media I thought I should share the recipe here on the blog, and I promise you it is super quick and easy. So quick that I make it for breakfast in the morning before work at least once per week. The flatbread is savory, gluten free, and full of fiber.
The other focus of this gut-healthy breakfast is the sauerkraut. I like the pretty basic kraut from Trader Joe’s but I’m extra fond of locally made Cleveland Kruat, they create all sorts of fun flavors! I’ve found that sauerkraut is an easy way to incorporate a vegetable and gut-healthy probiotic food into my first meal of the day. Maybe it’s just me but I always find breakfast to be the most challenging to get in a vegetable.
Below you’ll find the recipe for the savory chickpea flatbread, serve it with a fried egg and a nice serving of sauerkraut, or load up the flat bread with avocado, sauerkraut, wild smoked salmon, fresh dill, and a creamy lemon sauce. Make it your own and make breakfast extra healthy and delicious!
- ⅓ c chickpea flour
- ¼ c millet flour (or more chickpea flour)*
- Pinch salt, pinch ground black pepper
- ¼ t dried herbs (I like thyme, basil and/or dill)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil, sub avocado oil if preferred
- ¼ c non-dairy milk, I like almond or flax + more if needed
- ¼ t olive or avocado oil for cooking
- Add the ¼ t oil to a small to medium skillet set to medium heat.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl, and mix until combined. Add the milk and stir until a wet and thick batter forms, add extra milk a teaspoon at a time as needed until the batter is no longer dry.
- Add the flat bread batter to the skillet, quickly spreading it out to about ¼" thick.
- Cook the flat bread about 3 minutes until bubbles form, flip and cook until the bottom has browned about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.