Growing up my family always packed food to eat while traveling. Maybe it was to resist the smell of airpot cinnamon rolls, or to save money, but my mom always had sandwiches, fruit or other snacks for us. If we were traveling with my grandparents you can bet that there was a large bag filled with tightly rolled tacos. To this day, I do my best to avoid eating at the airport or fast food restaurants when I’m on the road.
My hummus and tapenade sandwiches came to be for that exact reason. Last spring my mom drove with me from Michigan to North Carolina following my bridal shower. Naturally we had to be prepared for the 12 hour drive with plenty of food! Since I really don’t eat much meat and have been trying to limit my dairy consumption my mom was pretty stumped about what to put on my sandwich. Hummus and tapenade to the rescue!
I love hummus on a sandwich, it’s easy and filling all by itself but can be a bit bland. Olive tapenade is a great compliment to the hummus and is packed with flavor. You can throw some tapenade together in your blender or food processor in less than 5 minutes, including cleaning time. In the words of Ina Garten, how easy is that?
I like to make my own hummus but your favorite hummus will do. I also recommend choosing a really good bread, because let’s be honest, the bread can make or break a sandwich. The best thing about this sandwich…it doesn’t make the bread soggy. Win win.
If you’re not traveling any time soon, this sandwich also makes for a super quick and easy lunch on the go. You can even add some greens or shaved carrot in the sandwich for some veggies.
- 2 slices good bread
- 3 T hummus
- 3 T tapenade
- Optional, vegetables such as carrot or greens
- ⅓ c green olives, pitted and drained*
- ¼ c kalamata olives, pitted and drained*
- 1 T capers, drained
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1 T fresh lemon zest
- In a blender or food processor add all of the ingredients for the tapenade. Puree until it reaches the desired consistency, I prefer mine a bit chunky but you could make it very smooth if desired, about 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- For each sandwich spread one slice of bread with the hummus and the other with the tapenade. Form a sandwich and wrap up to go if not enjoying immediately. Repeat as necessary.
*Any type of olives that you enjoy can be used for this recipe. I like to use at least two varieties for extra flavor but fewer or more works great too.
I would love to hear what you think! Please comment below or tag @the_mexitalian on Instagram or Facebook.