Layered Italian Sandwiches
with Artichoke Mayo
If you follow me on Instagram you might have noticed that my husband (still so weird to type that) and I received a six month subscription to the bread of the month club from Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor, Michigan as a wedding gift. Now anyone who knows me well knows that, 1. I really like good bread, 2. Zingerman’s deli is a food wonderland to me- amazing meat, cheese, bread, condiments, pastries, and so much more in every single corner of the tiny little place, and 3. I have regularly joked to my friends and family about sending me breads and sandwiches from Zingerman’s since I moved away from Michigan four years ago.
Well an amazing friend and her family new about my bread love and were maybe as excited as I was gift (thanks Elizabeth)! Our Zingerman’s delivery has become a highlight of our month and we anxiously await it’s arrival once we get the delivery notification. It might sound strange to receive bread in the mail but the package comes with easy instructions about how to reheat the bread it the oven so it takes just as fresh as it would if you were grabbing a loaf in Ann Arbor.
Last month (this summer has flown by!) we received a huge and gorgeous paesano loaf. It’s a large round and crusty loaf with a light, air-pocket filled inside. It really could go with anything, and honestly would be just fine on it’s own or maybe with some flavored olive oil, but when I saw this loaf I immediately was craving an Italian deli-style sandwich.
The next morning I headed to the store and came home ready to make the perfect sandwich to showcase really, really good bread. The mayo spread is tangy from the marinated artichokes and compliments the smoky roasted red pepper and the spicy salami. I think this sandwich would be great with some other meats layered as well, or with no meat and maybe some extra cheese for a vegetarian option. The crunch of the bread’s crust with the soft pepper and fresh spinach is a winning combination.
I might just have to run out and find myself some more bread!
- Two large pieces paesano bread, sliced in half (sub ciabatta or other Italian bread if desired)
- 8 slices spicy salami
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1 large roasted roasted red pepper (jarred), sliced into thin pieces
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- ¼ c mayo
- ¼ c Italian marinated artichoke hearts, diced
- 2 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ t salt, ¼ t pepper
- Mix together mayo, diced artichoke hearts, garlic, salt and pepper. Gently fold in the basil. Set aside.
- Layer artichoke mayo on both sides of sliced paesano bread. Next layer the spicy salami, cheese, and red pepper slices, dividing equally between the two sandwiches. Add the spinach to the top layer, pressing it to adhere to the mayo.
- Put your sandwich together and it's ready to eat! This also tastes great pressed and saved for later in the fridge. Just wrap it up tightly and enjoy it later.