Lemon & Asparagus Pasta with Olive Oil Crumble
People have strong feelings about asparagus.
Like most kids, asparagus wasn’t my favorite. I was never a picky eater but I don’t remember my parents serving it much at home, and it just wasn’t something we came across often when eating.
I have no memory of how old I was but distinctly remember the day I realized I not only liked, but LOVED asparagus.
My mom had prepared it in the oven with olive oil and parmesan cheese. I realize that it’s almost impossible not to love something baked with parmesan, but this asparagus eating experience left it’s mark on me.
I now love asparagus roasted, grilled, sautéed, even raw in a salad.
This particular asparagus was locally grown and perfectly in season, a perfect compliment to the bright lemon juice and rich olive oil crumble. I’ve already made this recipe several times in the past few weeks as I try to take advantage of asparagus season.
I hope you will love this simple spring recipe as much as I do!
Cooking time: 20 minutes, Serves 2
- 1 cup dried rotini
- 1 lemon- zest and juice
- 1/2 bunch asparagus
- 1/3 c white northern beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 T + 1 t olive oil, divided
- 1/4 c panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 c almond meal (ground almonds)
- 2 T fresh herbs (I used a combo of basil, parsley and mint)
- 1 t salt, 1/2 t pepper
- While boiling water for the pasta, chop asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces.
- To prepare the olive oil crumble mix together the 2 T olive oil, bread crumbs, almond meal, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat 1 t oil on medium-low heat in a sauté pan, add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 3o seconds), add the asparagus and cook until soft.
- While the asparagus is cooking, cook the pasta according to package directions. When the asparagus is about done cooking, add the beans and sauté until heated through. Drain pasta and remove the beans and asparagus from heat.
- In a large bowl or the cooking pot, add the pasta, asparagus and beans mixture, lemon juice and zest. Stir until the pasta is well coated with lemon juice and the asparagus and beans are mixed throughout.
- To serve, top the pasta with the olive oil crumble. Enjoy immediately.