Acorn Squash + Kale + Apple + Asiago + Red Onion+ Pepitas.
That’s it! That’s the perfect fall salad. The flavors in this salad combined are such a win, and for those who are big on texture, this is salad is for you.
I was inspired to create this salad following an interesting change of plans. Last October we had planned a trip to Charleston to celebrate our fifth dating anniversary. We had been before, but never in the fall, and wanted to go back and do some of the history and plantain tours we hadn’t had a chance to do. Sadly, there were horrible storms that impacted much of South Carolina, resulting in flooding and closed roads.
Since we couldn’t go south for the weekend, we decided to go west and visit Boone and Blowing Rock, NC. We spent the day hiking, eating, and drinking out way through both charming towns. For lunch we found ourselves at a brewery in Boone where despite the wood burning pizza oven I opted for the salad special.
I was blown away by that salad! So much so, that this October when we again had to cancel our trip to Charleston the exact same weekend (the poor Carolina coast!) my mind went back to our trip to Boone and that memorable salad. So needless to say, I had to create that salad and share it with all of you.
The salad is a flavor and texture bomb with all the flavors of fall with roasted acorn squash, pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds), freshly sliced apple, and a lightly spiced and creamy dressing.
Add this salad to your fall menu for an easy and delicious meal. As always, I would love to hear what you think. Please comment here or tag me in your photo of the recipe!
- 3 c kale, washed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 medium apple, sliced into thin sticks
- 2 oz. asiago cheese, sliced into thin sticks
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thin
- ¼ c pepitas
- 1 acorn squash, seeds removed, halved and cut into ½" slices
- ½ T olive oil
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- ⅓ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ c apple cider vinegar
- 1 T dijon mustard
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ½ t cumin
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t black peppers
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spread the squash on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping once, until soft and lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool.
- Mix all dressing ingredients, set aside.
- Toss the kale and onions with the dressing. Allow to sit and marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced apple, asiago cheese, and pepitas to the kale mixture. Toss until well combined.
- To serve, top with roasted squash slices.