Many people spend January focused on resetting. That might mean their diet, exercise, or focusing on some other goals. No matter the time of year or your dietary preferences, I think we can all agree that good flavor is important. POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice is only one ingredient and it provides both sweet and tart flavors, a perfect compliment to so many recipes. It’s healthy and delicious enough to meet all of our goals for the new year.
I received free samples of POM Wonderful mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by POM Wonderful and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
When POM Wonderful and the folks at The Recipe Redux challenged me to come up with a #Crazyhealthy recipe showcasing the whole-pressed, antioxidant rich juice I knew I wanted to create something savory. While I love the juice in a smoothie, or mixed into oatmeal for a sweeter take, I find recipe contests to be a really fun time to challenge myself to step outside the box. And what a better time to do it, than at the start of the new year???
It only takes about 5 minutes to get this pomegranate chipotle chicken in the slow-cooker and on it’s way to a healthy and delicious meal. The sweet, tart juice is complemented by smoky chipotle peppers, chili powder, and warming cumin. After a few hours in the slow-cooker you have melt-in-your-mouth pomegranate chipotle chicken that needs just a quick shred with the fork before it’s ready for your taco. I loaded my tacos up with with chipotle pomegranate mayo, mixed greens, avocado, and a sprinkle of pomegranate arils.
POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate juice is a surprisingly good source of potassium (as much as a banana! Who knew?!) and some research has shown that daily pomegranate juice can benefit your microbiome, which is incredibly important for your overall health. This meal checks all the boxes: quick and easy, healthy, and absolutely delicious. While I’m sharing the pomegranate chipotle chicken loaded into tacos, it’s also delicious atop salad. I have been loving leftovers in the salads I pack for lunch most days.
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, organic if possible
- 16 oz. POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced + 2 T adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1 t cumin
- 2 t chili powder
- 1 t salt
- ¼ c avocado oil mayo (or sub Greek yogurt)
- 1 1 chipotle pepper, minced + 2 T adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1 t POM Wonderful pomegranate juice
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Tortillas of choice, avocado, mixed greens, pomegranate arils
- Add all of the slow-cooker chicken ingredients to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, and much of the liquid has absorbed.
- Remove the cooked chicken carefully (it should be falling apart) and place in a large bowl to shred. Pour about ¼ - ⅓ c of the remaining cooking juices in the slow cooker to the shredded chicken, and mix well. This will help to keep the chicken moist and flavorful.
- Serve immediately to make tacos or salads, or store for lunch or dinner throughout the week.