Quinoa and Watermelon Salad
I am back and ready for all the summer fruit.
What says summer more than watermelon?!
Watermelon happens to be my favorite food. That’s a pretty bold statement I know. Of all the delicious types of food out there, and I love many of them, watermelon is the one that holds my heart.
Watermelon is completely perfect in it’s pure and simple state, but it’s also such a fun, fresh ingredient to brighten up a summer dish. This salad is perfect for a quick summer meal or to impress your friends and family at a weekend barbecue.
If you make the quinoa in advance you can even whip this up in less than 10 minutes. Perfect for hot summer days and nights when the kitchen in the last place you want to be!
Now, this recipe is special because I developed it several years ago and make it at least a few times every summer. I was reminded of this recipe and inspired to share it with all of you after having dinner at one of the restaurants at the gorgeous Nayara Hotel in Costa Rica. I was there for my honeymoon and it was the most beautiful and relaxing place to wind down after our wedding.
We loved all of the food we ate at Nayara but were particularly impressed by the first course we had for dinner at the restaurant Altamira. The dish was a spicy watermelon and feta salad tossed with greens and a delicious dressing that I couldn’t quite figure out.
I already loved this quinoa and watermelon salad recipe but now I love it even more for reminding me of such a happy time in a beautiful place with my husband. It’s crazy to actually type that!
I can’t wait to share more recipes inspired by my trip to Costa Rica soon.
Quinoa and Watermelon Salad
Serves 2 as a main course, or more as side dish.
This can easily be doubled, tripled or quadrupled for a party!
- 2 cups spinach, arugula, or mixed greens (or a combination)
- 1 cup cooked white quinoa, room temperature is best
- 1 cup watermelon, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/3 cup feta, cut into 1″ cubes or crumbled into large chunks
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 T chopped fresh basil
- 2 T chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- Mix all ingredients for the vinaigrette together, whisking well. Set aside.
- Toss the quinoa, red onion, and greens of choice in a large bowl. Slowly add vinaigrette a little at a time until quinoa and greens are lightly coated. You don’t want too much dressing and you will likely not use all of the vinaigrette.
- Gently fold in the watermelon, feta, basil and mint.*
*Note: If you are making this in advance I would recommend waiting to fold in the watermelon, feta, basil and mint until just before serving. You can store these ingredients already chopped in a separate container.
Don’t forget to tag the_Mexitalian on Instagram or post a picture to The Mexitalian Facebook page when you try this or any other recipe!