If you can’t tell, I’m a pretty big fan of most food. Yet, brunch makes it up there as my all time favorite.
This year was the first Christmas away from my immediate family in Michigan. For years I’ve been told that after getting married I would have to create my own traditions, but to be honest I have never been excited about that idea. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve enjoyed my family’s traditions more and more, so I was not overly receptive to forming my own.
Due to some crazy travel plans this month and next, it wasn’t practical to spend this holiday in Michigan. So I spent it in Charlotte with my husband and in-laws who flew in from Kansas for the week. As I prepared for the holiday weekend, the one thing I did start to get excited about was planning our menu for Christmas Eve and Christmas day.
I love my family’s food traditions, and definitely kept some of them, but I also wanted to be practical with a limited budget and tiny kitchen. Since brunch is a favorite of mine I was determined to make a Christmas Eve brunch and whipped up this egg bake with roasted red peppers, big chunks of feta, garlicky kale from our local farm, and some fresh herbs. We enjoyed it with cinnamon rolls that I made twice because the first batch didn’t rise (fortunately the second batch was well worth the effort!).
The brunch was a hit and the egg bake easy and efficient. I think this would be great for any weekend brunch, family gathering, or even brinner a.k.a. breakfast for dinner! To save time and effort in the morning, cook the kale and chop the rest of the ingredients the night before. In the morning you can mix in the eggs and throw your bake in the oven. Super easy!
I hope you enjoy this egg bake for brunch all year round.
- 12 eggs
- 1 large roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 c kale, washed and chopped into ½" ribbons
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 oz. block feta, cut into small cubes
- 1 t sea salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 1 T fresh rosemary, chopped*
- 1 T fresh oregano, chopped*
- Extra fresh herbs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large sauté pan heat the olive oil. Add the dice onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute until fragrant. Stir in the kale and cook until dark green and wilted. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- While the kale cooks, scramble the eggs into a large bowl. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- To an 8x11 baking dish add the cooked garlicky kale, herbs, and the red peppers. Mix until well incorporated. Gently fold in the feta and distribute evenly. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese, gently mixing until well incorporated. Sprinkle with a little extra salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 until the eggs are set and cooked through. Garnish with additional herbs if desired. Serve immediately.