Its not even summer yet and I’m already wanting quick and easy dinners with minimal cooking, aka minimal stove and oven.
This salad came about from just that need. We wanted a quick and easy dinner on a Friday night with minimal cooking and using mostly pantry staples. If you cook the quinoa in advance this comes together in about 5 to 10 minutes. Seriously, a full dinner or delicious side dish in less than 10 minutes.
The green chiles add tons of flavor and warmth, going perfectly with the light cumin dressing and the southwest flavors with black beans and corn. I used broccoli and spinach, because that’s what I had from the farm this week, but I think any vegetables you have or like would work well. Maybe try some carrots, kale, snap peas, whatever your heart desires!
I also love this dish because it can please just about anyone’s dietary needs. It’s vegan, gluten, free, and only takes one bowl. How much better can it get than that?! Well, it also works at any temperature, warm if you make the quinoa fresh, cold if you had the quinoa in the fridge or make it in advance, or room temperature if you want to take it to a party. Quinoa salad make a great dish to share for a summer party or BBQ because it can take the heat and still tastes great.
Easy meals make for more summer fun.
- 3 c cooked quinoa (I used tricolor)
- ½ c corn kernels
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 4 oz can roasted green chiles
- 2 c fresh broccoli, chopped
- 2 c fresh spinach
- 1 large green onion, sliced
- ¼ c fresh lime juice
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- In a large bowl toss the quinoa, corn, black beans, green chiles, broccoli, spinach and green onions.
- In a small bowl whisk the lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour over the quinoa mixture and mix well.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.