It’s a little hard to believe but we moved from Charlotte to Cleveland just over a year ago. I adore Cleveland and yet I also loved Charlotte and miss many things about our lives there. One of my favorite aspects of Charlotte is the great food scene, including delicious southern BBQ.
Back in 2016, I had the pleasure of being introduced to Ogre Sauce, a tasty BBQ sauce made locally in Charlotte based on the creator’s grandmother’s recipe. I used their original sauce to make delicious roast BBQ shrimp – perfect in a bowl, on tacos, with salad, as an appetizer, really anything they’re so good.
So I was thrilled to hear from the guys at Ogre Sauce about their latest product and Kickstarter campaign. Joe and I both love spicy food and I must admit I think the new Ogre Sauce HOT is even better than the original. It is so flavorful with the perfect amount of spice.
I brushed a good amount of the Ogre Sauce HOT on thick-sliced organic cauliflower steaks and threw them on the grill then brushed them with even more of the hot bbq sauce. A drizzle of ranch and they are good to go. We enjoyed the spicy bbq cauliflower steaks for dinner one night. I served them with cool green gazpacho and a sliced baguette for dipping in the soup and the bbq sauce. Not only are the cauliflower steaks a little different, they’re healthy and delicious, and you can put a whole meal together in less than 30 minutes.
If you would like to help make Ogre Sauce HOT available to more people and try some out yourself, check out the Kickstarter campaign here. The campaign runs until August 1, 2018.
- 1 head cauliflower
- ⅓ c + 2T Ogre Sauce HOT
- Ranch dressing (I like Tessamae's ranch)
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Carefully cut the cauliflower into 2" thick slices to create the steaks. I usually get two steaks from one organic cauliflower, you may be able to get three from a larger cauliflower. Reserve the florets from either end for a different recipe.
- Brush both sides and the top of each cauliflower steak with the ⅓ c of Ogre Sauce Hot. Try to cover the entire steak with sauce.
- Grill the steaks on medium-high heat for about 4-6 minutes per side, until they are lightly charred and tender.
- Remove from the grill and brush with 1 additional tablespoon of sauce per each stake, again covering both sides and the top. Use additional sauce as preferred.
- Drizzle each steak with ranch dressing and serve immediately.
I was provided with complimentary product for the development of this post. I was not compensated for my time. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Mexitalian.
Don’t forget to tag your photos on social media with #Mexitalianrecipes!