When I found out that Recipe Redux members would be teaming up with Sabra for National Hummus day on May 13, I immediately knew what I wanted to make. Hummus and salad bowls!
I received free samples of Sabra Hummus mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Have you ever had a bowl of hummus and salad? So simple, yet so darn delicious. My husband and I were recently introduced to the concept at one of our local favorites, Yafo, a fast casual Mediterranean restaurant with some serious hummus expertise. As much as I would love to recreate that exact bowl at home, one of the things I love about eating at Yafo is having a bunch of different toppings on my bowl that I don’t have to prepare myself. Since I like to keep things a bit simpler in my own kitchen I decided to make a spring version of this favorite instead, inspired by some of the gorgeous spring produce I’ve been picking up from the farmer’s market. If you’ve been following the blog for a while you know I love me some local produce!
These fun half hummus, half spring salad bowls highlight both the thick and creamy hummus, as well as the fresh greens and asparagus. Hummus and salad are surprisingly a perfect one-bowl combo and the hummus adds plant-based protein to make for a vegan and gluten-free first course or meal. I actually love to mix the veggies and hummus up a bit, plus the completely gorgeous strawberry basil dressing. If you have a nice piece of pita or other bread to scoop up some hummus and dressing, you will really be doing well.
Now let’s pause for a second to talk about the dressing. It’s creamy, slightly sweet from the strawberries, slightly tart from the vinegar, and practically drinkable. It pairs really well with the creamy hummus, I like it with the roasted garlic Sabra hummus, and adds a nice bite to the fresh asparagus. I think I’ll be making this dressing on repeat all spring long.
This recipe is easy, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, seasonal, full of nutrients and plant-based protein, and all around delicious. Make yourself a bowl for National Hummus day or any day of the week!
- ½ c Sabra hummus, I used the roasted garlic variety
- 1 c fresh asparagus, chopped into ½" pieces
- 1 large green onion, sliced
- 2 c mixed greens or other lettuce
- chia seeds to top
- ¼ c fresh strawberries, leaves and stems removed (about 5 medium berries)
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T fresh basil
- ¼ t salt
- To make the dressing add the strawberries to a food processor or blender and puree about 30 seconds, until they are broken down. Add the red wine vinegar, olive oil, fresh basil, and salt. Blend until smooth, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the greens, asparagus, and green onion. Add about 3 T of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Using two shallow bowls, add about ¼ c of hummus to one side of each bowl. Spread the hummus out and drizzle with olive oil if desired. On the other side of the bowl add the dressed salad. Drizzle with another 1 T of dressing per bowl and sprinkle with chia seeds. Enjoy immediately.