It is finally grilling season!
There is something so exciting about firing up the grill for the fires time of the season. Though I live in North Carolina where you can grill for a good portion of the year, we actually grilled steaks for Christmas last year, having grown up in the north I still get excited for the change in season. Burgers aren’t something I make often even during the summer so when I do make them I like to make something special.
Turkey burgers seem to get a bad rep for being dry and tasteless. I promise these are anything but. The burger itself has a ton of moisture from my secret ingredient- grated onion. To up the flavor even more I stuffed these burgers with a mixture of feta cheese, lemon zest, and diced jalapeño. The burger filling is creamy, citrusy, and spicy and complements the herbal flavor of the oregano-studded meat.
I have been thinking about how to make these burgers as flavorful as possible for the past several weeks and am so pleased how they came together. The day after I made and shot these burgers I found myself judging a burger contest where the winning burger was cheese and mushroom stuffed. Needless to say, I think stuffed burgers are just the best.
Time to fire up your grill!
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 medium jalapeño, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey meat
- 3 T yellow onion, grated
- 1 T garlic minced (1 large or 2 small cloves)
- 1 T fresh or 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t salt
- ½ t ground black pepper
- 1 small-medium red onion, sliced
- lettuce to serve
- 4 buns
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- ¼ c fresh dill
- ¼ c fresh oregano
- ½ c fresh basil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T mayo, vegan mayo, or Greek yogurt
- 1 t lemon zest
- ½ t salt
- In a small bowl mash the feta. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and jalapeño. Continue to mash until the no chunks of feta remain.
- To make the burgers mix the turkey meat, grated onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Form the meat into four patties on a large cutting board. Create a well in each burger and fill with a heaping tablespoon of the feta mixture. Cover the cheese with the burger meat and form into a 2" patty. The burgers can be grilled immediately but will be easier to handle if refrigerator first.
- To prepare the sauce, add all of the ingredients to a blender or food and blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Lightly oil then cook for about 5 minutes then flip, cooking about 3-5 more minutes until no longer pink.
- While the burgers rest cook the sliced onions on the grill, cook for 2 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes until soft and slightly browned.
- Serve the burgers on fresh buns with lettuce, grilled onion, jalapeños (if desired), and creamy lemon herb sauce.
What do you like to grill in the summer?!