You probably well know by now that I don’t adhere to any particular diet.
I do try to make healthy and balanced choices and enjoy playing around with different styles of eating. I first learned about keto diets from following Megan’s blog, Freckled Italian, and more recently from her cookbook. So when I came across a keto salad on special at a lovely local cafe in Cleveland, I was intrigued.
Needless to say, the keto salad was amazing. Loaded with tons of texture, and completely packed with flavor. I was smitten and went home determined to recreate it. I happen to love a good salad, for spring, strawberry season, summer, with pita, and for fall.
This keto salad is loaded with crispy pieces of thick-cut bacon, thyme sautéed mushrooms, kalamata olives, sliced avocado, and hard-boiled egg, all tossed in a light lemon vinaigrette. Even though I get to create food like this, being on this keto diet is not that easy. So there are times where I can see why some people may opt to try keto diet pills. For me personally, I’ll stick to the meal diet.
If you prefer a vegetarian option, you can sub the bacon for feta, goat cheese, or simply omit the bacon. If you’re a big fan of the keto diet, it might be useful to consider some keto supplements to support your keto adventure. My friend told me about keto in a bottle before and after and for her it was fantastic but I digress.
The salad is satisfying for brunch, lunch, or dinner, and works really well packed for lunch at work (just pack the dressing separately). You’ll be sure to impress anyone dining with you, or the people sitting next to you for lunch at work.
What are you favorite salad ingredients?
- 3 cups mixed greens, spinach, or a combination of both
- 3 sliced thick-cut bacon, cut into ¼" pieces
- 1 c baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and sliced
- 2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- ¼ c kalamata olives
- ¼ c fresh parsley (or other fresh herbs)
- ⅛ t dried thyme
- ⅛ t ground black pepper
- Salt and pepper to season
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ t yellow mustard powder
- ⅛ t salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- Add the bacon to a cold medium skillet. Head the skillet to medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Carefully dispose of most of the bacon grease, leaving just enough to coat the pan. Add the sliced mushrooms, dried thyme, and black pepper. With the heat still on medium, cook until soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss the greens with about half of the dressing, adding any additional dressing to taste.
- To prepare the salads, divide the greens between two large bowls or plates. Add half of the bacon, sliced avocado, mushrooms, and kalamata olives to each plate. Add one sliced hard boiled egg to each salad. Season the egg and avocado with salt and pepper as desired.
***To make vegetarian sub feta or goat cheese for the bacon, or simply omit.
I would love to see your photos! Tag #Mexitalianrecipes on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.